Thanks to Chart Attack for giving me space to reflect upon the past year. It’s been a memorable one, and I have lots to be grateful for including all the support. Thank you to anyone who’s been listening and tuning in.
Surrounded by the sharp quiet of the South Shore in Nova Scotia, Broken Deer's Lindsay Dobbin articulated on Unseen World the magical and imperceptible changes that happen within both the natural world and our own bodies, a churning and ever-changing ambience that’s only partially within our knowable realms. Our conversation was enlightening, and her plans for the new year promised further deep connections with herself and the world around her.
What was your most memorable musical moment of 2013?
I can’t narrow it down to one thing, as it was a very memorable and productive year, so here’s a list of 13 for 2013 in (sort of) chronological order:
1) Receiving a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts to study shamanic drumming.
2) Improvising music with Double Vision Quest (Evan Cardwell) and JFM for a group of improvising dancers at Halifax’s DANspace in March, and then improvising music with them for a group of plants at Halifax’s Common Roots Urban Farm in June.
4) Building a traditional frame drum out of deer hide.
5) OBEY Convention IV. Performing in it and witnessing it.
6) Spending a lot of time listening to and swimming in the ocean.
7) Getting swimmer’s ear for the first time as a result, but composing a deep listening song that healed it.
9) Sharing the stage with friend and collaborator Evan Cardwell (Double Vision Quest) at Saint Matthew’s Church for my performance in the Halifax Pop Explosion, and James Gauvreau's whale projections in that space.
10) Being surrounded by and collaborating with kindred spirits, and seeing my friends grow in their creative work.
11) Becoming more and more comfortable performing.
12) Discovering new sonic directions (see 7).
13) Developing a strong, clear, creative vision.
Can you sum up your year in 10 words or less?
Grounding, moving, dreaming, healing, listening, connecting, creating, swimming, exploring.
What do you have planned for 2014?
I have a new video coming out early in the new year for a song from my latest album, Unseen World. It features a lot of whales, and is made by the incredibly talented James Gauvreau. I will also be playing a select few, special shows while I work on writing and recording a new album and continuing my drumming studies. I also have some collaborations with like-minded souls (musicians, dancers, visual artists) and a Yukon expedition planned. The rest is open!